Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

Brothers and Sisters.

As I watch my boys grow and mature (which is painfully slow at times) I see us as kids. I soak in the hateful looks they give each other, the irritating actions towards each other, the impatience, the anger, the mean words, the critical statements and the belittling. I also drink up the tenderness, love, affection, sharing and affirmation that they are learning to invest in each other.

Each one has a dominant strength; and each one has a dominant weakness. But the strengths are different in each as are the weaknesses. The strength and weakness of the one is a point of irritation to the other and ditto back the other direction.

Both of them could use their strengths to help with the others weakness, but in the event of such a rarity happening the pride of one will not allow the help of the other.

As a parent I sit back and say this is such an easy fix, but it wasn't so easy when I was where they are now. OK, it's still a bit of a pain in the neck. But I'm getting better at it. Aren't I?

God put my boys together in the same home because they need each other to mature properly. They learn patience from the others weakness and humility from their own. They learn service from their own strength and admiration from the other's. They learn to conquer pride by accepting help for their weakness and to develop their strengths by helping the other with his weakness.

I see the same thing with the differences in my marriage; it's just a bit more civilized now that I am an adult. I have learned better how to mask my pettiness.

I would not be the person that I am without you four. Your strengths and weaknesses have helped me grow and mature to the person I would never have been if you were not a part of my life. God put us together because we needed each other. And may I say - because we need each other.

Just like my boys are needing to, we needed to grow to accept the differences in others, acquire patience and admiration. We had to beat pride and learn to serve. And I thank God he put us in the same family. No matter where our lives take us whether together or apart I'm glad I have you four and no more. Thank you for the part you play in my life; you are the best brothers and sisters a man could want.

I love you,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment